Red Cross Offers Safety Tips for Halloween
How to make sure the Trick-or-Treaters are okay while out and about
Halloween is coming and pretty soon the streets will be filled with tiny ghosts and goblins, super heroes and princesses. Even vampires and witches need to know how to celebrate safely and the American Red Cross has steps people can follow to have a safe Halloween.
"We want everyone to enjoy this fun-filled night," said Coralie Chun Matayoshi, CEO of the Hawaii Red Cross. "The kids are excited, but first parents need to make sure their kids know what to do in order to have fun and stay safe."
COSTUME SAFETY Whether the little one wants to be a ghost, a princess or a superhero, parents can help keep them safe by following some costume advice:
- Add reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
- Have everyone wear light-colored clothing to be seen.
- Use flame-resistant costumes.
- Use face makeup instead of masks, which can cover your eyes and make it hard to see.
SAFE TRICK-OR-TREATING To maximize safety, plan the route ahead of time. Make sure adults know where children are going. If the children are young, a parent or responsible adult should accompany them as they make their way around the neighborhood.
Other safety tips to follow include:
- Make sure trick-or-treaters have a flashlight to see where they are going and be seen by drivers.
- Visit only the homes that have a porch light on. Accept treats at the door--never go inside.
- Walk only on the sidewalks, not in the street. If no sidewalk is available, walk at the edge of the roadway, facing traffic.
- Look both ways before crossing the street, and cross only at the corner.
- Don't cut across yards or use alleys. Don't cross between parked cars.
- It's not only vampires and monsters people have to look out for. Be cautious around animals, especially dogs.
WELCOMING THE KIDS If someone is manning the candy giveaway at their house, they can make sure it's a fun night for all by doing the following:
- Make sure the outdoor lights are on.
- Sweep leaves from the sidewalks and steps.
- Clear the porch or front yard of any obstacles that a child could trip over.
- Restrain the pets.
- Use a glow stick instead of a candle in the jack-o-lantern to avoid a fire hazard.
- Use extra caution if driving. The youngsters are excited and may forget to look both ways before crossing
FIRST AID APP Download the free Red Cross First Aid App. Users receive instant access to expert advice for everyday emergencies whenever and wherever they need it. Use the Emergency App for weather alerts and to let others know you are safe if severe weather occurs. Find these and all of the Red Cross apps in smartphone app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- American Red Cross, Hawaii State Chapter
The American Red Cross in Hawaii prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
American Red Cross - Hawaii - Prepare for Hurricane / Disaster Resources & Tips
Get tips and resources to prepare for disaster. In Hawaii due to our isolation, we encourage all families to be prepared for 5-7 days instead of 72 hours. Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Volcanoes, Floods, Fires, Terrorism, Power Outage, Pandemic Influenza. Make sure you are ready! More...
American Red Cross Hawaii Volunteer Opportunities
With your help, the promise of neighbor helping neighbor in times of trouble becomes a reality and our communities become safer places to live. Show your aloha and become a volunteer for the American Red Cross in Hawaii.
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...