>>Barber Shops and Salons
The Black Cat Salon + Spa
3512 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
Phone: (808) 888-3480View Map
|Web Site: http://www.theblackcatsalon.com|
Download Our Service MenuSPECIAL!
LOCATIONS / HOURS
NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY
Receive $20 Off
Privacy - We value our relationship with YOU!. Your Email address is not shared with anyone except Kaimuki Hawaii.com. You will be added to the "once a month" Kaimuki, Hawaii Email newsletter to keep you current and informed. If you would like to be removed, just reply to the Email confirmation with "DISCONTINUE" in the subject line.
Learn more about the integrity of the owner of this website
About the Black Cat Salon
The Black Cat Salon is Hawaii's premiere beauty destination with locations in Kaimuki and Kailua. We offer full Aveda salon services such as hair cuts, color, highlights, waxing and more. Salon gift certificates available.
The Black Cat Salon + Spa got its name from a music venue in Austin, Texas. Jentry, co-founder of The Black Cat, used to frequent the "original" Black Cat as a young kid, sneaking in under-age to see musicians like Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Arc Angels. This was when Austin was truly the Live Music Capital of the World. As the "Keep Austin Weird" movement spread and began to cannibalize and commercialize everything that had made it so special in the first place, The Black Cat stayed true to Austin's roots.
While other venue owners on Austin's famous Sixth Street sold their clubs to be converted into generic bump-and-grind bars to make (a lot) of money, the owner of The Black Cat refused to sell. Then, one day, The Black Cat burned down. Instead of rebuilding, a sign was put up on the burnt shell that said, "Austin, Texas: Once Live Music Capital of the World, Now Dead Music Capital of the World." The Black Cat remained to Jentry, and to many others who knew it, as a symbol of loyalty and integrity, refusing to compromise no matter what.
Flash forward a number of years later to Hawai'i. Jentry and his client and friend, Katy, had been talking about hypothetically opening a salon for months. They looked at spaces for rent, they tossed around names and logos and paint colors. They mostly ate a lot of pizza and dreamed big. But after months of talk, it was time to get down to business or get off the pot, so to speak. One night, after a pizza and dreams session, Katy got a call from Jentry right as she got home. "Guess what I saw when I got out of my car?," Jentry said. There had been a little black kitten sitting on the curb in front of his house that night. That was the sign they needed.
Uncoincidentally enough, the night they found the space in Kaimuki, there was a black cat waiting for Katy in her parking space when she got home. Who says black cats are bad luck?
The Black Cat Salon Founders
JentryCo-Founder, Aveda Purefessional™ Educator and Certified Vidal Sassoon In Salon Educator
Though he's the creative and technical drive behind The Black Cat, Jentry's background is a unique blend of crafts and passions you won't find anywhere else. From day one, he has infused that eclectic essence into the vibe that is The Black Cat. He has an eye for design and a ear to the soul, grounded in an appreciation for wellness that is perfectly aligned with AVEDA.
Jentry started his career as a hair stylist in Austin, TX. He moved to Hawaii in 2008 and worked as a style director at a local salon before opening his own place. He has worked professionally as a nightclub designer, personal trainer, life coach, personal development mentor and yoga teacher. His goal was to merge this diverse set of past experiences into a salon with an energy all its own, creating a culture where the stylists could grow and evolve, not only as hairstylists, but as people and as leaders in the community.
Although Katy had no background in hair before opening The Black Cat, her marketing expertise, quick business sense and impeccable taste has made her an integral part in the salon's success.
Her path crossed with Jentry's when she moved to Honolulu to work a job in advertising. He became her stylist, and she fully believed in his vision of a new and different salon, so she pledged to do whatever she could to help him get there. She's the right hand woman who just makes it all work.
A firm believer in self-improvement and reaching your full potential, Katy is currently pursuing a Juris Doctorate from the William S. Richardson School of Law.
Employment / Careers at The Black Cat Salon
Our culture is rooted in these principles:
- We always treat each other with respect. We consider everyone a member of our family and we always act in the best interests of the team.
- We provide the highest level of service with a little bit of edge and personality.
- We pride ourselves on customer service and want to give our guests a truly special, memorable experience that will make them feel like part of our family.
- We encourage all of our stylists to live up to their full potential by setting high expectations for themselves and holding each other accountable.
- We're changing perceptions: Members of the beauty industry, especially hairstylists, are often negatively portrayed as unprofessional and uneducated, and it is our goal to shift that perception to one of true professionalism and artistry.
- We encourage our stylists to live healthy and active lifestyles, so we can all be our best, together.
Yoga classes and CrossFit classes are offered to each employee and are paid for by The Black Cat. We encourage our team to work out for their health, to help them cultivate awareness of their own body and for good lifestyle habits.
We believe firmly in ongoing education- it is a constant journey.
Back to the top
- Every Monday, we have an Advanced Training and Team Meeting, learning new techniques and perfecting our foundational skills. Advanced classes are also offered through AVEDA.
- Jentry is an AVEDA Purefessional™ Educator and Certified Vidal Sassoon In Salon Educator, bringing the latest trends and techniques directly to the team.
- Esteemed as an educationally-oriented salon, The Black Cat has been the host salon for many of AVEDA's 2012 classes.
Locations / Hours of Operation
The Black Salon Locations: Kailua and Kaimuki, Hawaii
Monday: 8am - 4pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 10am - 8pm
3512 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
22 Oneawa Street
Kailua, HI 96734