Event Calendar Item
A Historical Tour at Hickam With Waikiki Community Center
Date: Friday - 5/11/2012
Time: See notes for time
Waikiki Community Center
310 Paoakalani Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815
Waikiki Community Center - A Historical Tour at Hickam
FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2012
Check-in 7:45 a.m. Depart 8:00 a.m. Return 1:30 p.m.
$45 members, $55 Non Members Lunch buffet at Seabreeze (No-host)
- Please enjoy a historical tour of Joint Pearl Harbor Hickam Base where youll see and visit certain areas that the military does allow civilians. The following is what youll observe from a wind shield tour:
- Historical homes built in 1916 still remain along the beach.
- Visit JPAC to see remains of soldiers.
- A military chapel and Army bandstand om pre-WWII.
- 5 Army soldiers were killed at Fort Kamehameha on 7 December 1941.
- Fort Kamehameha continues to remain as the only United States military fort named after a non-American military hero.
- Batteries Hasbrouck and Hawkins artillery gun batteries no longer in use since WWII but are an important part of the historic landscape.
- Queen Emma (wife of King Kamehameha IV) owned the land prior to the United States government.
- Prior to being a military fort, the coastal area was once the site of ancient Hawaiian burials. Today there is a Hawaiian burial crypt for any iwi (Hawaiian ancestral bones) that are uncovered during construction in the area.
- Military aviation first occurred at Fort Kamehameha in 1913.
In case of any changes due to military emergencies, you will be notified. Upon payment at Waikiki Community Center, please furnish: First Name, Middle I, Last Name, Date of Birth, Drivers License or State ID, Citizenship, Gender. Non American citizens must give passport #. For further information call 923-1802 for more information.
All must be ambulatory. Deadline Monday, April 23, 2012.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
Powered by MBC CalendarMaker
Events subject to change without notice
- RELATED LINKS
- Waikiki Community Center
Providing excellent programs and services for people who live, work and visit Waikiki and surrounding communities.
310 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, HI (View Map)
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...