- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
State Librarian, Richard Burns, Receives High Marks from Board of Education
State Librarian Receives High Marks from Board of Education
State Librarian Richard Burns received an "Exceptional" rating from the Board of Education (BOE), the highest rating possible, during his annual job performance evaluation at the Board's General Business Meeting conducted at the Hawaii State Library July 16.
"I would like to thank the Board of Education for their confidence in me, their support of my leadership and especially for their consistent support of the Hawaii State Public Library System and our staff," said Burns. "Despite limited resources, our staff has achieved notable milestones over the past five years, improving and increasing the number of free public programs and services, continuing to develop traditional and print collections while moving forward into the wireless, e-book and other digital arenas, and increasing the value the library system provides for our users across the state. Now more than ever before, the Hawaii State Public Library System is providing our patrons with the resources they need to achieve academically, build their futures in the world of technology, prepare themselves for employment in the modern workplace and lead engaged, fulfilling lives," Burns said.
Over the past few years, the Hawaii State Public Library System (HSPLS) has concentrated on supporting student achievement and upgrading and improving its public access technology resources:
* HSPLS is the only library system in the world to offer the Microsoft IT Academy, which provides free online digital literacy and advanced technology training
* HSPLS provides free wireless Internet access in all 50 public libraries
* Every public access computer in every library is new within the past two years
* HSPLS libraries offer high speed Internet access, and by next year will have fiber-optic connectivity in all our libraries
* eBook and audiobook collections now include some 30,000 licensed items, as well as access to a similar number of free eBooks
* The new Learn4Life program provides free instructor-led, lifelong-learning courses ranging from personal finance to digital
photography to starting a business
* Patrons have access to more than 80 online databases
* You can now like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
HSPLS' technology implementations, upgrades and enhancements led directly to the Library system earning the State of Hawaii's first Excellence in Technology Award In October 2012.
HSPLS has achieved other notable milestones in Fiscal Year 2013 including:
* The 2012 Summer Reading Programs (SRP) offered for Children, Teens and Adults, set records again with more than 29,000 readers of all ages reading over 302,000 books during the five-week program. Between 2009 and 2012, participation in the SRP has grown by 41 percent.
* In FY 2012, HSPLS circulated nearly 7 million items and conducted nearly 8,700 programs, author visits, storytimes, class visits, booktalks, workshops, and more with a total attendance of more than 222,000.
* In FY 2013, the number of Internet sessions conducted via library computers increased by 11 percent, to nearly 670,000.
Board of Education Chairman Don Horner stated, "Our Libraries play a vital role in providing access to educational and vocational information. Our State Librarian understands technology will provide libraries increased opportunities to offer the public improved access to information more effectively and efficiently."
About Kaimuki Public Library
The mission of the Hawaii State Public Library System is to provide Hawaii's residents, in all walks of life, and at each stage of their lives, with access to education, information, programs and services, and to teach and nurture the love of reading and the habit of life-long learning.
Sun - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Mon - 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Tues - 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Wed. - 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Thurs.- 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Fri- 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm (beginning 12/7/2012)
Sat & State Holidays - Closed
You may apply for a library card at any Hawaii public library. The initial card is FREE for Hawaii residents. Cards are also free for military personnel and their dependents with a copy of orders. The resident card replacement fee is $5.00. Resident library cards must be renewed every five years. There is no charge for the renewal.
Branch Manager -- Maile Davis
Reference Librarian -- Jeffery Eldredge
Reference Librarian -- Cora Kelly
Children's Librarian -- Melissa LePage
Young Adult Librarian -- Baron Baroza
first one free, replacement $5.00
3 weeks for books and CDs
1 week for DVDs/ videos
View more information on Borrowing, Returning & Renewing Materials
25 cents per day for all ages for books, CDs, DVDs/videos
$1.00 per week for DVDs and videos
CONNECT FROM HOME:
- Search Catalog
- CDs & DVDs
- electronic databases
- Download eBooks/Audio/Music
- library information
- Free Wi-Fi in the library during business hours. Login using your valid library card number and your PIN (last 4 digits of your phone no.)
- and more!
Most Sundays at 10:30 am, call 733-842. Enjoy stories and a simple craft.
Internet Computers -- one hour sessions with valid library card
13 internet computers for the public, one w/ ADA accommodations... printing available, donations requested
Click here for commonly asked questions regarding PC Reservations
Reserve a PC here
On person with library material or call 733-8422, then press "0" -- have your library material with you when calling. For online renewals, use www.librarieshawaii.org and "my account" and your library card no.
Book Drops -- for after business hours -- one by the front door or drive-up book drop in the upper parking lot
Friends of the Kaimuki Library -- support group for the library
-- Members and officers needed
-- Ongoing book sale bookshelf - $1.00 per book
** 20 cents per page
2 Microfilm Reader/Printers
** 15 cents per page
Ongoing Book Sale
** Friends of Kaimuki Library
The Hawaii State Public Library System provides the following enhanced services for library users. Click on the service in which you are interested for more information.
- Books by Mail
- Custom Research
- Interlibrary Loans
- Photocopying and Mailing Documents
- Test Proctoring
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- Kaimuki Public Library
One of the best public resources in Kaimuki! The Hawaii State Public Library System provides Hawaii's residents in all walks of life with access to education, information, programs and services.
1041 Koko Head Avenue, Honolulu, HI (View Map)
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...