Let's Play With Plastic!
Plastic: it does a lot of good for the world but it is also causing some serious problems. Throughout July we will encourage keiki to playfully and creatively reuse plastic bottle caps, bottles, lids, soda rings, etc. We also encourage families to practice ALL the Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Refuse to take plastic when you don't need it!
Get involved in one of our upcoming playful plastic events in July:
- Marine Debris Art Workshop, Wednesday, July 6, 9:30-11:00am. Keiki will use plastic found on our beaches to create fantastic mosaics while rethinking their own use of plastic. Special guest instructors from The Green House will teach this unique workshop. Pre-registration is required. $15, ages 5 & up.
- Plastic Open Studio Activities, Various times July 13-19. For Open Studio over the course of a week we will be doing some creative reuse projects to have fun and raise awareness about plastic.. $5, all ages, no pre-registration required.
- ME+U Fashion Showcase, Friday, July 15 at 6:30pm. Come to our Fashion Showcase to see the amazing creations of the young stitchkeepers in our sewing program with ME+U. These keiki will be wearing their designs which will include accessories created out of plastic! Our studio will also be open for art activities that evening from 5pm-8pm as part of Kaimuki Third Friday. The Fashion Showcase is free, but it's $5 to participate in art activities. All ages, no pre-registration required. There will also be some other fun family activities taking place around Kaimuki this evening - more info TBA.
- Creative Reuse Open House for Educators, Saturday, July 16, 8:30am-12:00pm. We are holding a special Open House this morning where teachers can get creative reuse project ideas, materials to use in the classroom, and meet representatives from arts and sustainability organizations. Free, pre-registration is required.
- Guest Artist Aunty Lani in the Studio, Thursday, July 28 10am-12pm. Aunty Lani is a creative reuse expert who will be at Open Studio this morning. She will show keiki how to create DIY shrinky-dinks which start as a larger piece of plastic then magically shrink down into a small charm.
Featured Upcoming Workshops
Afternoon Art Club (TODAY!)
We just changed the name of our After School Art Class to "Afternoon Art Club" because, well, it often feels like a fun little keiki clubhouse in our upstairs studio! Afternoon Art Club happens on Thursday afternoons from 4:00-5:30pm, for children ages 7 & up.
*We still have spaces left in today's super fun Secret Sound Art class where we will learn about expressionism and abstract art by creating pieces based on secret sounds. Sounds pretty clubhouse-y, doesn't it?
Artist instructor Jordan Koffman will continue to teach in the Afternoon Art Club in July, focusing each week on different elements of nature: Earth, Fire, Wind and Water. $15 per class but if you sign up for all four classes in July you get a $10 discount.
Little Artists With Mia
We are excited to welcome a new teacher to our Little Artists program for our youngest artist friends ages 2-5. Ms. Mia from Funky Monkey Music Jams brings a great deal of experience with young children to the studio, a super fun energy, and wonderful musical talents!
It's not too late to sign up for the month of July and get a $10 discount - spaces are limited!
We would also like to bid Ms. Harmony of HarmsaStar a fond farewell. She has been teaching our Little Artists program since it began several years ago. Ms. Harmony has been hired full-time as a teacher and we will miss her a lot!
Other Featured Workshops With Various Artists
We have been having lots of summer fun with our Sunday afternoon and Wednesday morning workshops as well! Through our Workshops with Various Artists we bring in a wide variety of teachers to provide children access to all different types of art. There is something for everyone! Here are some upcoming highlights:
- Marine Debris Art Workshop with special guest artist instructor Jenna from The Green House, Wednesday, July 6, 9:30-11am, ages 5 & up
- Find Your Zen Workshop which combines relaxing music, yoga poses, and zen doodling, Sunday, July 10, 2:30-4pm, $15, ages 5 & up
- Scratch Boards: Plants & Animals of Hawaii Workshop where we will create beautiful black and white images on real scratch boards, $15, ages 7 & up
- Fantasy Night Skies Workshop with Ualani Davis is a repeat of a popular workshop we held in April at the Honolulu Museum. Students will learn about constellations and create their own night sky using a really cool photographic process and the sun's energy (cyanotype), $20, ages 5 & up
About Art Explorium
Art Explorium provides a community art studio to nurture the creative potential in children.
Art Explorium is a non-profit organization in Kaimuki that provides art opportunities for youth. Stop by and try out our art stations (request a $5 per person coupon>>>).
Open Studio Hours
Monday and Thursday from 9-12 am
Monday through Friday from 2-5 pm
Saturday from 1-4 pm
Nurturing tomorrow's creative thinkers
Art Explorium provides a fun, safe place where children of all ages have the opportunity and the permission to create freely. We firmly believe that art experiences are an important part of every person's growth and development. So... WE provide the space and materials, YOU provide the ideas and make them happen!
Art Explorium strives to be an eco-friendly organization. Many of the art materials in our studio are items that would normally be thrown in the landfill (old pieces of fabric, used bottle caps, small boxes, magazines, ribbon, etc.). We collect these used materials from our friends and local businesses, and Art Explorium visitors give these items a new life as art.
We offer art classes, birthday parties, and field trips to our studio. We also offer Open Studio time - come on in with your family and dabble in one or all of our art stations which offer activities like painting, sculpting, drawing, making mosaics and more. See you there!
Come on by! During Open Studio time you are free to drop in, use our space and materials and explore the process of creating.
We also offer art classes, birthday parties and field trips to our studio!
Hours and price subject to change without notice.
Ample metered parking is available on the street or in the lot behind our building.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- Art Explorium - Children Art Studio - Kaimuki
Art Explorium provides a community art studio to nurture the creative potential in children. - Art Explorium provides a fun, safe place where children of all ages have the opportunity and the permission to create freely.
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...