Event Calendar Item
Down to Earth - 35th Anniversary Much to Celebrate!
Date: 5/1/2012 - 5/25/2012
Down to Earth
2525 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96826
Cynthia - 947-3249
When a group of friends in Wailuku, Maui decided in 1977 that they wanted to help improve the health of Hawaii residents through organic and natural products and a vegetarian lifestyle, no one could have predicted their success. Considered unconventional at the time, their vision of a healthy lifestyle is now a part of the American mainstream.
Today, Down to Earth has become an iconic part of the local landscape with five locations: Honolulu, Kailua, Pearlridge, and Kapolei on Oahu; and Kahului on Maui. We are Hawaii's only all-vegetarian food store chain and one of only a few in the nation.
"Our success has been built on our unshakable commitment to our vision of helping to improve the health of Hawaii's island communities, and to our customers," says Mark Fergusson, Down to Earth Chief Vegetarian Officer (CEO/CFO). "We have earned our customers' loyalty due to our uncompromising dedication to this commitment. We remain a community-based business whose mission is to promote healthy living, respect for the environment, sustainable organic farming, and a vegetarian lifestyle."
"Our Anniversary is as much a celebration of the success of our vision as it is of 35 years of service to Hawaii," he added.
To celebrate, Down to Earth has planned a month-long series of May events that culminate with a great sale.
35th Anniversary Sale! On Friday May 25th all Down to Earth locations will invite you to, "Celebrate our 35th Anniversary with 35% off 35 of our best-selling items!" Stay tuned for details!
Cooking Classes: Let's Party! In honor of our 35th Anniversary, all classes during May will have a celebratory (Party) theme. There will be recipes for vegetarian, vegan, and raw food classes. No reservation required.
- • Honolulu – Vegetarian Chef Saradha Johnson, 1st Saturday of the month, 11:00am – 12:00pm
- • Kailua – Vegetarian Chef Trisha "Mama T" Gonsalves 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 4:30pm – 5:30pm Click here for info on the next class
- • Pearlridge – Vegetarian Chef Cynthia Cruz 1st & 3rd Mondays, 5:30pm – 6:30pm Click here for info on the next class
- • Kapolei (Weekly) – Vegetarian Chef Andrea Bertoli, Wednesdays, 4:00pm – 5:00pm and 5:30pm - 6:30pm Click here for info on the next class
- • Kapolei (Monthly) – Down to Down to Earth Love Life! Team, 3rd Saturday of the month, 11:00am – 12:00pm Click here for info on the next class
- • Kahului (Weekly) – Vegetarian
Chef Jessica Oshier, Every Tuesday, 5:30pm – 6:30pm
here for info on the next class
Candy Diaz Sings Live!
- • Kailua - 2nd and 4th Thursdays, starting April 12th
- • Kapolei-every Tuesday starting April
Wellness Lectures "Healthy Living: making an impact on blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and weight naturally," by Carmela Wolf, manager of Down to Earth's Wellness Department at the King St. location. Carmela has a lifetime of experience in wellness, including a Master's of Science in Oriental Medicine and she is a licensed acupuncturist.
- • Kapolei – Saturday, May 12th (11:30am-1pm)
- • Honolulu – Thursday, May 17th (5-6:30pm)
- • Maui – Saturday, May 26th
Raw Foods Demo with Guest Chef - Jessica Simmons
- • Kailua - Saturday, May 26th
- • Kapolei - TBA
Gift Basket Raffle
- • At all Store locations - Gift Baskets will be displayed in the beginning of May. Winners will be drawn on the 25th.
About Down to Earth Down to Earth's mission is to facilitate positive change by promoting healthy living, a vegetarian lifestyle, respect for the environment, and sustainable organic farming while providing high-quality organic and natural products at affordable down to earth prices. We are Hawaii's only ALL VEGETARIAN food store chain and one of only a few in the Nation. The company was started in 1977, over 30 years ago, when a group of friends in Wailuku, Maui, turned their vision into a business dedicated to improving the health of island communities through organic and natural products and a vegetarian lifestyle. We Support Local Farmers Down to Earth has a 30-year history of supporting local vendors, a commitment that is unflinching and will continue to grow. For example, Down to Earth typically purchases nearly $2.5 million in products from 400 local vendors including 172 farmers and growers each year! We strongly support local farmers through our policy of purchasing virtually all the produce they are willing to sell us--even if it's only a crate full. The reason we do this is simple:
- Customers prefer local produce because it is fresher and better for the environment
- It consumes less energy in transporting products to our islands
- Purchasing from local vendors supports our local communities, and
- We appreciate the opportunity to help farmers succeed
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
Powered by MBC CalendarMaker
Events subject to change without notice
- RELATED LINKS
Down to Earth Organic & Natural Super Savers Sale and coupon Sheet for the Kaimuki Community
Get Down to Earth Organic & Natural Sales sheet/Coupon for the Kaimuki community ALL VEGETARIAN Organic & Natural
Down to Earth Organic & Natural Produce Coupon Sheet For The Kaimuki Community
Get Down to Earth Organic & Natural Produce Sales Sheet/Coupon for the Kaimuki community ALL VEGETARIAN Organic & Natural
Down to Earth Organic & Natural Job Listings and Careers
Looking for jobs at Down to Earth Organic & Natural? Find the perfect Down to Earth Organic & Natural job...
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...