- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
Hawaiian Electric urges customers to prepare for emergencies
Hawaiian Electric urges customers to prepare for emergencies
With hurricane season upon us, Hawaiian Electric Company urges all of its customers to review their preparations for emergencies.
The best time to prepare for an emergency is before one occurs. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Gather emergency supplies, such as a battery-powered radio, flashlights, lanterns, and batteries. Store enough non-perishable food, water, and medicine for your family members and pets to last seven days.
- Before a storm hits or if there is a power outage, unplug all unnecessary electric equipment and appliances until the storm has passed or until power is firmly restored.
- Take time now to plan where you will take shelter if your home is subject to coastal storm surges or inland flooding. You can get a list of emergency shelters in your area from the Hawaii State Civil Defense at scd.hawaii.gov, or call 733-4300. As a tropical storm approaches, listen to emergency TV and radio broadcasts to learn which shelters have been opened. Should you need to evacuate, take emergency supplies and remember to shut off electricity at the main breaker or switch.
- Make plans in advance to go to a safe location where electricity will be available if someone in your home depends on an electrically powered life support system and you don't have a backup generator. Some shelters are designed for people with health needs--just remember to take your own medical equipment and medications.
- Plan to seek safe shelter for your pets. During a tropical storm, pets may not be safe outdoors in doghouses or pens.
Hawaiian Electric's free "Information Handbook for Emergency Preparedness" includes these tips and more. It can be downloaded at http://emergencypreparedness.heco.com
The handbook includes key numbers to have on hand, checklists for emergency supplies such as a home survival kit and first aid kit, electrical safety information, power outage preparedness and recovery, household and food safety tips, and references and links to related resources such as the American Red Cross, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the civil defense agencies.
Those without internet access may receive a free copy of the handbook by visiting Hawaiian Electric's Ward Avenue and King Street customer service locations or by calling 543-7511.
About Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO)
For more than 100 years, Hawaiian Electric Company has provided the energy that has fueled the islands' development from a Hawaiian kingdom to a modern state. Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc. (HECO), and its subsidiaries, Maui Electric Company, Ltd. (MECO), and Hawaii Electric Light Company, Inc. (HELCO), serves 95% of the state's 1.2 million residents on the islands of O`ahu, Maui, Hawai`i Island, Lana`i and Moloka`i.
The energy we use is an essential but limited resource necessary to maintaining our quality of life. In a changing world, Hawaiian Electric has evolved to offer more than electricity.
Today, the company also provides energy solutions to help customers save money and use energy more efficiently. Hawaiian Electric also continues to pursue the use of more clean, renewable energy alternatives to help ensure a sustainable future for our islands.
Hawaiian Electric Company is dedicated to our community in which we live, work and serve. Rooted in Hawaii and one of the largest companies in the State, Hawaiian Electric takes the concept of malama pono -- to care for and serve -- to heart. The company and our employees have a long tradition of contributing with dollars, time and talent. Corporate citizenship is crucial to Hawaiian Electric's overall business plan because strong communities are essential to the success of the company, our employees and our customers.
Company and employee volunteerism is encouraged and every month, employees walk, run or provide manpower to dozens of non-profits throughout the State. Hawaiian Electric's corporate giving philosophy gives priority to projects that help families, promote education and protect the environment.
The company also sponsors robotics programs and events that promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) education, as well as the SunPower for Schools program bringing solar electric power to select schools, the Solar Sprint event where students design, build and race cars using solar power, and the Home Energy Challenge, a school-based competition encouraging elementary school students and their families to reduce energy use at home, among other programs.
For nearly a decade, Hawaiian Electric volunteers have provided manpower, bucket trucks and ladders to install Christmas lights at the Kaimuki Community Park and playground before the annual Kaimuki Christmas Parade in December.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
HECO - Hawaii Energy Conservation, Saving and Efficiency Tips - Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.
REDUCE YOUR ELECTRIC BILL! - Looking for ways to reduce the amount of energy you use and save money? Practical tips to conserve energy, manage your bills and protect the planet!
- Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc. - HECO
For more than 100 years, Hawaiian Electric Company has provided the energy that has fueled the islands' development from a Hawaiian kingdom to a modern state. Hawaiian Electric cares about our communities where we live, work and play Has coupon!!
Hawaii Energy-Electric Rebate, Tips, Solutions, Tax Credits and Incentive Request
Homeowner or renter? Business owner or landlord. Get information to all Hawaii Energy rebates. More...
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...