- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
Art Explorium - Online Art Resources for Your Ohana
Art Explorium - Online Art Resources for Your Ohana
Our latest art video tutorial: Learn to press flowers and leaves to create beautiful greeting cards with Aunty Heather!Art Resources to Help You at Home
Art Explorium Video Tutorials
With our increasing COVID numbers on O`ahu, we will all be spending a lot of time at home over the coming weeks. Although these higher numbers mean we won't reopen our Art Explorium studio at this time, we are continuing to add to our library of online video art tutorials. The newest one features Aunty Heather sharing how to press flowers and leaves and use them to make greeting cards (above). This is a really fun activity that the whole family can get into! We also posted a new video featuring Ms. Ashley sharing about the color wheel and Warm & Cool Drawings. All of our tutorial projects require supplies that are very affordable and that many of us already have on hand at home.
Online Art Explorium Lesson Plans
We have a whole bunch of art lesson plans on our web site that we developed for teachers to use in the classroom. We know many of you are teachers or are trying to teach your children at home, and we want to share this resource with all of you. The lesson plans are sorted by grade level (pre-K through middle school) but many of them can be adapted to different age groups. Enjoy and feel free to share with others!
Resources from Other Local Organizations
These local organizations have some great creative and cultural resources that you can access on their web sites. Check them out and if you know of any others please let us know so we can share:
- Manoa Heritage Center Creative Activities Our friends at Manoa Heritage Center recently developed four awesome lesson plans for our Creative Reuse Open House for Educators. They are: Ke Ala La (Observing Your Place in the Sun), Native Leaf Rubbings, Ohe Kapala Printmaking, and Lei-Making. Your family can also schedule a visit to their beautiful 3.5 acre living classroom property in Manoa that promotes the understanding of Hawaii's natural and cultural heritage. This is an amazing and little-known treasure and we definitely recommend that you learn more about it!
- Kamehameha Schools Learn at Home Kamehameha Schools has a variety of "learn at home" resources on their web site. These are fun Hawaiian culture-based activities that you can do with your keiki. They include activity books, videos, games, and more.
- Children's Discovery Center Learning & Art Kits The Children's Discovery Center is making activity kits that you can purchase from them and take home. Their "Make and Take" kits include projects like Kokeshi Dolls, Summer Lanterns, Dream Catchers and more. Their Ready, Set, Read! Kits include library books that you can borrow and art activities and lesson plans that relate to those books. There is a small fee for these kits.
- Honolulu Museum of Art Family Sunday Online During normal times the Honolulu Museum of Art holds their Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday event at the museum grounds on the third Sunday of each month. This Sunday, August 16 they will present a digital version online, featuring at-home art activities for keiki of all ages. More information to come so keep an eye on their web site.
Help Public School Teachers Build Their Libraries
Do you know any public elementary and middle school teachers in Hawaii? Please let them know about this Books for Teachers program that is giving FREE books to public school teachers
More than 400 public school teachers from Title 1 Elementary and Middle Schools across O'ahu will be invited to the Friends of the Library Hawaii warehouse over two weekends to choose books for their classrooms and students. Teachers may give the books to their students to build home libraries rather than lending them out during the pandemic.
Let's Keep On Swimming (Safely!)
As we write this newsletter, O`ahu's Covid numbers are increasing rapidly. Please hang in there and be as safe as you can. Remember that being creative is a way to help support your family's emotional health and well-being. If you find any great online resources please send them our way at email@example.com. And tag us in pictures of your keiki doing art on Instagram and Facebook so we can share and inspire others. Take care!
Support Art Explorium!
Art Explorium is a non-profit organization and we rely on the generous support of people like you to provide our art programs. To make a tax-deductible donation please click on the link below.
About Art Explorium
Art Explorium provides a community art studio to nurture the creative potential in children.
Art Explorium is a non-profit organization in Kaimuki that provides art opportunities for youth. Stop by and try out our art stations (request a $5 per person coupon>>>).
Open Studio Hours
Monday and Thursday from 9-12 am
Monday through Friday from 2-5 pm
Saturday from 1-4 pm
Nurturing tomorrow's creative thinkers
Art Explorium provides a fun, safe place where children of all ages have the opportunity and the permission to create freely. We firmly believe that art experiences are an important part of every person's growth and development. So... WE provide the space and materials, YOU provide the ideas and make them happen!
Art Explorium strives to be an eco-friendly organization. Many of the art materials in our studio are items that would normally be thrown in the landfill (old pieces of fabric, used bottle caps, small boxes, magazines, ribbon, etc.). We collect these used materials from our friends and local businesses, and Art Explorium visitors give these items a new life as art.
We offer art classes, birthday parties, and field trips to our studio. We also offer Open Studio time - come on in with your family and dabble in one or all of our art stations which offer activities like painting, sculpting, drawing, making mosaics and more. See you there!
Come on by! During Open Studio time you are free to drop in, use our space and materials and explore the process of creating.
We also offer art classes, birthday parties and field trips to our studio!
Hours and price subject to change without notice.
Ample metered parking is available on the street or in the lot behind our building.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- Art Explorium - Children Art Studio - Kaimuki
Art Explorium provides a community art studio to nurture the creative potential in children. - Art Explorium provides a fun, safe place where children of all ages have the opportunity and the permission to create freely.
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors Offers
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
- Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...