- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
Hawaiian Electric Holiday Donations Benefit Local Nonprofits Helping Keiki And Families
HONOLULU, Dec. 21, 2021 -- Hawaiian Electric has given a total of $141,500 in donations this holiday season to more than a dozen local nonprofit groups and educational organizations that contribute to the cultural enrichment, education, and health and welfare of Hawaii keiki and families across the state.
- American Lung Association in Hawaii will use the funds for its "Asthma Friendly Schools" program that helps Hawaii keiki with asthma increase their self-management skills and improves their parents' and teachers' ability to support them.
- Center for Tomorrow's Leaders intends to deepen its youth leadership programs within the Waianae schools complex.
- EPIC Ohana will continue its work to strengthen families and enhance the welfare of children and youth through family conferencing, facilitation, training and program development.
- HawaiiKidsCAN earmarked the donation for its Wi-Fi on Wheels program, an initiative that closes the digital equity gap by providing high-speed internet access to low-income areas so underserved students can access online programs while adhering to safety guidelines.
- Hoa Aina O Makaha will continue program operations at its 5-acre community garden and learning center that teaches gardening skills and Hawaiian culture to children and families on the Waianae Coast while encouraging healthy lifestyles.
- Kapili Like Hawaii provides Native Hawaiians, community members that need a hand up and those in transition or displaced with no-cost education and workforce development so they can achieve career and life success and fortify local communities.
- Kupu will hold its Hawaii Youth Sustainabilty Challege seeking student-driven solutions to conservation and sustainability issues facing their schools and communities.
- Na Kama Kai and its mission of educating and inspiring keiki about ocean safety, environmental stewardship and conservation has already touched the lives of more than 35,000 keiki through its free programs that include ocean safety clinics, mentorships and ocean equipment recycling.
- North Shore News will fill its Operation: Toybox and Christmas Cheer with new unwrapped toys, Christmas treats, toiletries and non-perishable food for keiki and families in need.
- Olelo Community Media is planning its 2021-2022 Youth Xchange Statewide Student Video Competition that empowers youth to identify and draw attention to critical community issues through un-editorialized video content.
- Special Olympics Hawaii has refined its virtual programs for the Sports and Wellness Complex in Kapolei that offers sports, fitness and health activities for individuals with intellectual disabilities, their families, coaches and volunteers.
- Valley of Rainbows will hold its Youth Leadership conferences and community projects in 2022.
Hawaiian Electric also continued its support of the annual MATHCOUNTS® Oahu Chapter and Hawaii State Competitions organized by the Hawaii Society of Professional Engineers Educational Foundation and robotics programs at McKinley High, Nanakuli High & Intermediate and Waialua High schools.
About Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO)
Hawaiian Electric serves 95 percent of Hawai‘i’s 1.4 million residents on the islands of Oʻahu, Maui, Hawaiʻi, Lānaʻi and Molokaʻi. Established in 1891, Hawaiian Electric is committed to empowering its customers and communities by providing affordable, reliable, clean and sustainable energy.
Hawaiian Electric Company is dedicated to our community in which we live, work and serve. Rooted in Hawaii and one of the largest companies in the State, Hawaiian Electric takes the concept of malama pono -- to care for and serve -- to heart. The company and our employees have a long tradition of contributing with dollars, time and talent. Corporate citizenship is crucial to Hawaiian Electric's overall business plan because strong communities are essential to the success of the company, our employees and our customers.
Company and employee volunteerism is encouraged and employees volunteer for dozens of non-profits throughout the State. Hawaiian Electric's corporate giving philosophy gives priority to projects that help families, promote education and protect the environment.
The company also sponsors robotics programs and events that promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) education and careers.
For nearly a decade, Hawaiian Electric volunteers provided manpower, bucket trucks and ladders to install Christmas lights at the Kaimuki Community Park and playground before the annual Kaimuki Christmas Parade in December, and in 2019 company volunteers repaired the "floating" Christmas tree at Puʻu O Kaimukī Mini Park with new multicolored, energy efficient LED light strands.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
MAKA - The Super Energy Saver Guide - Hawaiian Electric Company
Energy guide for children offers fun activities to stop energy waste in the home. More...
- Kaimuki Community Park - 3521 Waialae Avenue
Click on link to view interactive map, photo, activities, amenities and more. 3521 Waialae Avenue - View Park Photo Gallery
HECO - Hawaii Energy Conservation, Saving and Efficiency Tips - Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.
REDUCE YOUR ELECTRIC BILL! - Looking for ways to reduce the amount of energy you use and save money? Practical tips to conserve energy, manage your bills and protect the planet!
- Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc. - HECO
For more than 100 years, Hawaiian Electric Company has provided the energy that has fueled the islands' development from a Hawaiian kingdom to a modern state. Hawaiian Electric cares about our communities where we live, work and play Has coupon!!
Hawaii Energy-Electric Rebate, Tips, Solutions, Tax Credits and Incentive Request
Homeowner or renter? Business owner or landlord. Get information to all Hawaii Energy rebates. More...
Holiday Recipe from Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO)
A holiday recipe from Hawaiian Electric Company. A message for KaimukiHawaii.com readers, from Hawaiian Electric Company Celebrate this holiday season with timeless traditions and cherish the festive, sweet memories throughout the New Year!
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors Offers
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
- Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...