- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
Pistol & Rifle Ranges At Koko Head Shooting Complex Reopening April 29
Pistol & rifle ranges at Koko Head Shooting Complex reopening April 29
Weekend schedule, free online reservations implemented due to current staffing shortage
Mayor Rick Blangiardi and the Honolulu Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) are pleased to announce the pistol and rifle ranges at the Koko Head Shooting Complex (KHSC) are scheduled to reopen for public use on Saturday, April 29.
While shooting will resume on these public ranges, current staffing levels (due to non-medical resignations), existing conditions at KHSC, and the anticipated high demand for this popular outdoor range will result in temporary changes to operations for the firearm ranges:
- Pistol and rifles ranges will operate as one firing line, due to damaged separation wall
- Firearm ranges open on weekends, Saturdays & Sundays, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Free online reservations required to book 1 hour 20-minute shooting slot:
- Conducted online using the hnl.info website
- Reservations open five days in advance at 8 a.m. (HST). For instance, on opening day (April 29), reservations will be available beginning 8 a.m. Monday, April 24
- One non-transferable reservation per person, per day for both ranges
- Photo identification and proof of reservation required (on phone or printed)
- Five timeslots available for 18 pistol and 27 rifle firing lanes:
- 8 a.m. -- 9:20 a.m.
- 9:35 a.m. -- 10:55 a.m.
- 11:10 a.m. -- 12:30 p.m.
- 12:45 p.m. -- 2:05 p.m.
- 2:20 p.m. -- 3:40 p.m.
- Three rifle and two pistol firing lanes will be made available for walk-ins, those unable to secure a reservation, and those without computer / internet access.
- Each shooting timeslot will consist of three shooting relays and two ceasefires, with 15-minutes between each of the five timeslots
- No metal targets or .50 caliber BMG allowed
- Pistol targets may be placed at 25 or 50 yards
- Rifle targets may be placed at 50 or 100 yards
We appreciate the understanding of shooters as the above-mentioned protocols are temporarily placed on the KHSC firearm ranges. We are actively working to increase full-time and part-time staffing at KHSC, with interested applicants encouraged to contact staff at (808) 768-6715. Additional improvements are being pursued to make these firearm ranges more available for public use, including repairs to the separating wall to allow pistol and rifle ranges to operate independently.
Other permanent changes or continued KHSC operations include:
- No eating, drinking or smoking allowed on the firing line
- More stringent, regular cleaning protocols to remove lead particles from surfaces near the firing lines
- D-lead soap provided in comfort station and at rifle-side portable sink
- Protocols for testing / monitoring employees lead levels and impacts to hearing
- Shooters must continue to provide their own:
- Licensed firearm
- Targets and target frame (measurements remain the same as before closure)
- Ear and eye protection
- All shooters must continue to sign-in with your name and firearm caliber(s)
- All visitors must comply with KHSC signage, rules, and regulations
- Archery range remains open on regular schedule (Wednesday through Sunday, sunrise to sunset) as staff are not required to be present to operate this facility
While these changes are significant, we hope shooters can enjoy the renovated facilities which were refurbished following the Sept. 2022 closure of the shooting complex. During that time a wide variety of improvements, repairs, and maintenance was conducted at the complex, including:
- Backstop / berm renovations
- Filled-in the rifle range ruts
- Landscaping (mowing and weed whacking)
- Carpentry to the overhanging eyebrows
- Painting of structures and shooting galleries
- Roofing repairs (including hurricane clips, repairs to damaged areas, and coating)
- New target brackets
- Improved shooting gallery amenities (such as setting areas)
- Upgraded public address and ceasefire alert system
- Masonry work on the range walls, pathways, and steps
- Fencing along the mauka ranges
- Installation of new signage
- Pressure washing the firing line
During each phase of the above-mentioned work, air monitoring was conducted by an environmental consultant to measure levels of air-borne lead. All air-borne tests indicated that no lead dust was detected. This air monitoring will continue with the reopening of the firearm ranges. Testing for surfaces near the firing line did return detectable levels of lead, which is expected at a firearm range. This resulted in the implementation of more stringent, regular cleaning protocols to remove lead particles from these surfaces and the restriction of eating and drinking along the firing line.
The entire Koko Head Shooting Complex was closed on Sept. 16, 2022 after the City received notice that many of the complex employees received blood test results indicating elevated levels of lead. These test results indicated that the lead levels were well below the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and medically established levels of concern. Although the levels did not pose an immediate health risk to the staff, they were relocated out of an abundance of caution. All interested range staff remain under OSHA and medically established levels of concern and may return to work at Koko Head Shooting Complex. Furthermore, protocols for employee lead level and hearing impact testing / monitoring will be implemented.
DPR is continuing to work with the various agencies who operate the other KHSC ranges regarding necessary improvements to those facilities. They remain closed to the public at this time.
If you need an auxiliary aid/service, other accommodations due to a disability, or an interpreter for a language other than English in reference to this announcement, please contact the Honolulu Department of Parks and Recreation at (808) 768-3003 on weekdays from 7:45 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org<!#43END>
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- Kaimuki Hawaii.Com Home Page
View our featured events, news, businesses and primary links on our home page.
- Featured Sponsors Offers
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Kaimuki Honolulu, Hawaii community. More...
- Kaimuki Hawaii Directory
View Kaimuki, Hawaii primary directories. businesses, non profits, public, government and jobs.
Check out things to do in Kaimuki on the calendar of events.
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in your Kaimuki community.
- Kaimuki Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii has to offer. Go Green in Kaimuki, restaurants, shopping, WiFi Hot Spots, fitness, health, real estate, home and garden, 80+ more directories... More...
Site Designed and Managed by MacBusiness Consulting